- Phoenix in Sheffield (0) February 20, 2013
If you haven’t been able to make it down to London to hear the Phoenix Piano trio at Wigmore Hall, then you’ll be glad to know they’re heading up to Sheffield on Tuesday. The programme includes relatively unknown trios by the British composers John Ireland (No. 3) and Thomas Dunhill, his contemporary as well as a popular work by Beethoven. The Dunhill trio is a lighter counterpart to the Ireland, which was written in 1938, just as clouds were darkening over Europe.
The second half of the programme pairs Beethoven’s “Ghost” trio – with it’s famously “spooky” sounding slow movement – and Philip Venables’ “Klaviertrio im Geiste“.
The concert, at the university’s Firth Hall, is at 7.30pm on February 26th. You can book tickets using the link on the university’s concert website, where you can also find more information. The performance of the Ireland trio is generously supported by the John Ireland Trust.
- Phoenix Piano Trio on In Tune (0) December 17, 2012
Our favourite piano trio – Phoenix – will be appearing on BBC Radio 3′s “In Tune” tomorrow, Tuesday 18th Dec, at about 4.30pm. You can listen live from the BBC website, and we’ll put up a “Listen Again” link as soon as we have one.
They’re being interviewed by Sean Rafferty ahead of their concert at Wigmore Hall this Saturday, 22nd, 7.30pm. Audience (and Trio) favourite, Beethoven’s “Archduke” Op.97 is paired with Schumann’s “Phantasiestücke” Op.88 and Haydn’s E-flat trio HXV:30. You can join the event on Facebook, and buy tickets from Wigmore’s website here.
- Phoenix have a great time launching their new CD at Wigmore (0) May 24, 2012
The Phoenix Piano Trio had a great time on Sunday 13th May making their debut at London’s prestigious Wigmore Hall. The trio performed music by Thomas Dunhill, John Ireland and Beethoven – cheered on by a very large and appreciative audience. The concert marked several special occasions: John Ireland’s 50th anniversary since his death in 1952, and the launch of the Trio’s first CD on the Stone Records label, of Beethoven’s Archduke Trio and Op.70/2 Trio, the latter that they performed in the concert. One punter commented afterwards: “I’m not a big Ludwig fan (I know, blasphemy!) but this just took my breath away!”.
The disc, pictured above, has been selling really well, and can be ordered direct from Stone Records here. We’re looking forward to performing the Ireland more through this year and 2013, and our next recording, and our next Wigmore concert. Stay tuned!
- Phoenix at Wigmore Hall, 13th May (0) April 20, 2012
The Phoenix Piano Trio’s debut concert at Wigmore Hall is nearly upon us – a delightful blend of charm and cheer that will truly mark the beginning of spring.
And it’s actually not just Phoenix’s debut at Wigmore Hall! Ireland’s last, most substantial trio, an impressive meeting of English pastoral tradition and impressionistic French colour, is being performed for the first time at this venue; as is Thomas Dunhill’s charming but relatively unknown offering for three players. These will be performed alongside Beethoven’s magisterial E flat trio – a real cornerstone of the repertoire, and also featured on Phoenix’s forthcoming CD.
The concert is now only weeks away so don’t forget to book your tickets here. It seems like only yesterday that is was writing about the ticket launch back in February (!) – how time has flown…
- Thank you Fidelio Trust! (0) June 30, 2011
The Phoenix Piano Trio and we at fourfortytwo are REALLY GRATEFUL to the Fidelio Charitable Trust, and DELIGHTED with the news that they are supporting the Beyond Beethoven Project. This support will go towards the commissions for composers, along with the generous support from the RVW Trust. Thank you!
- Phoenix Piano Trio on Radio 3 (0) June 30, 2011
Phoenix Piano Trio are wrapping up their Beethoven series this week, with the final programme featuring his best known trio, the Archduke, and a new piece to accompany it by Cheryl Frances Hoad. Last night they performed this programme at the Forge in Camden. Tomorrow night they take it to Hampshire, and on Saturday to the Holywell Music Room in Oxford.
The trio appeared on BBC Radio 3′s In Tune a few weeks ago, promoting the Beyond Beethoven series, and they performed excerpts from two Beethoven trios and the new commission by Philip Venables, Klaviertrio im Geiste. You can hear them with Sean Raffery live in the studio, here!
BBC Radio 3, In Tune. 10th June 2011. Phoenix Piano Trio by Fourfortytwo
And here they are in the BBC Studios!
If you can make it to Oxford on Saturday, do! Tickets here:
Sign up for email news
- tour NYCO BBC Northern Aldborough Festival Philip Venables Mark van de Wiel Venables Wigmore Hall BBC Singers Beethoven nlce Alleyn's School Phoenix pub Fiona Elliott Making Music EXAUDI 2011 concerts recordings Stabat Matar Southbank Cheryl Frances Hoad listen The Times Angela Hewitt andrew hamilton brahms fourfortytwo Sound Festival vocal music Kings Place December minimalism Blog Mark Stone BBC Radio 3 Endymion diary 22 Mansfield Street Canite Tuba Onyx Brass Southbank Centre Radio 3 Sound Scotland Schnittke Mozart the office Concert Promoters Group 2013 concerts Fidelio Trust Howard Assembly Room In Tune Forge Fundraising Golden Age Dunhill commissioning Golden Bottle Trust News carols Poulenc wordpress Opera North Sally Beamish the Forge Pärt youtube Phoenix Piano Trio new music saxophone Holywell Music Room videos Martin Butler Recordings clarinet quintet ireland Music for People Ravel Geoff Brown James Weeks Michael Dussek aberdeen CD Time to Time Cheltenham Festival Sound Census Arvo Pärt Nonet northern ireland Dante Quartet composing onyx Leche Trust funding 2014 concerts soundcloud website London 2012 concerts Beyond Beethoven Sean Rafferty Brass Shostakovich Events RVW Trust Julian Philips Goodbye Stalin! Philip Cashian Dohnányi Christmas brass ensemble